First State Bank & Trust opened its door on February 13, 1926, after a group of local investors received a charter for Commercial State Bank. The bank operated as a State Bank until a National Charter was received on October 2, 1934 with the name being changed to First & Commercial National Bank.
In February, 1940 the bank's name was changed to First National Bank in Williston. From its beginning, First National had been a community owned bank with a diversity of stockholders from the Williston trade area. In February, 1963, a majority of the stock was made available for sale and the number of stockholders increased quickly from 18 to 103.
By 1969, assets of the bank had reached $18 million. With the bank furnishing more services to the expanding community, additional employees were hired which created the need for more office space. A 24 foot addition was made along the East side of the building. In 1970, Directors received approval to establish a Trust Department. In 1973, the name changed to First National Bank & Trust Co. to reflect the expansion.
In 1975, the second Williston Basin oil boom began. The increase in demand for banking services prompted the Directors to purchase property on 2nd Avenue West and 26th Street for the purpose of constructing a drive-in facility. The North Branch was opened in April, 1980 and was the first to provide north Williston with convenient banking facilities.
In September, 1982, Directors purchased property south of the bank along Broadway to construct another drive-in facility. The drive-in windows on the west side of the Main Bank were removed and replaced by an addition to house the Trust Department.
Directors, deciding to add bank branches to the surrounding communities, purchased what is today the Ray Branch in 1987. In 1988, they purchased Williston Basin State Bank. And in 1990, branches in Lignite and Crosby were purchased.
In 1996, the Jorgenson Holding Company out of Kenmare purchased First National Bank & Trust Co.
In 2020, the name was changed to First State Bank & Trust.
J. Arthur Cunningham (1926 - 1943)
Ronald C. Crighton (1943 - 1947)
Dr. Carroll M. Lund (1947 - 1972)
John Dickson (1972 - 1973)
Wallace L. Herreid (1973 - 1981)
Duane W. Sorensen (1981 - 1986)
Kenneth L. Erickson (1986 - 1986) - Acting President
Robert A. Wanago (1986 - 1989)
Ardean O. Aafedt (1990 - 1990) - Acting President
Steve Skow (1991 - 1997)
Craig E. Tribolet (1997 - 2002)
David B. McAdoo (2002 - 2010)
Robert W. Sorenson (2010 - 2012)
Dennis D. Pederson (2012 - Present)